bonnybedlam

Bonnie Read a Book Today

Reader, writer, cat tamer, and Tiny Communist.

His Dark Materials
Philip Pullman
Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief
Lawrence Wright

A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She is Today - Kate Bornstein One of the best memoirs I've ever read. Kate Bornstein tells the story of her life as Albert, his marriages, and the loss of her child to Scientology with such clever honesty that it's just a pure joy to read. It is, by necessity, a political book as much as a loving family history, but I found myself much more interested in the family than the politics. To the point where I can't imagine even Rush Limbaugh trying to tear down Kate. He would, and undoubtedly has, I just can't imagine how he would go about it.

The beautifully written narrative holds the complex story of Kate's first 63 years together so perfectly that even a picky bitch like me couldn't find a bad seam with which to attempt to peel it apart. I read it in 2 days and wished it could go on forever.