bonnybedlam

Bonnie Read a Book Today

Reader, writer, cat tamer, and Tiny Communist.

His Dark Materials
Philip Pullman
Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief
Lawrence Wright

I Am Malala

I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai An amazing book by a young woman whose love of her home country makes Pakistan a real place, full of real, ordinary people, not at all different from us. Her history of activism for women's rights and girl's education made her a target for the Taliban, a terrorist group made up largely of her own Pashtun people. Her grasp of the history and politics of her people and her country are amazing, even given the fact that she had a co-author and a lot of good people helping with the background research.

Malala Yousafzai is a truly remarkable child and her story is a real pleasure to read. But be sure you have access to Google, because if you aren't Muslim, Pashtun, and/or Middle Eastern in origin, you'll need to look up a lot of things. This is a very personal book and she doesn't explain what can easily be found in readily available sources.

I look forward to hearing of her often in the future as she finishes her education and takes her proper place in working for the peace and welfare of all Pashtuns, and all of the people of Pakistan and Afghanistan.