bonnybedlam

Bonnie Read a Book Today

Reader, writer, cat tamer, and Tiny Communist.

His Dark Materials
Philip Pullman
Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief
Lawrence Wright

Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties. One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships (Travelers' Tales) - Brian David Bruns I really enjoyed this little memoir of crew life on a Carnival cruise ship. It's definitely a job that only a lovesick man in his twenties would undertake. The hours, the labor, the lack of a reasonable social life sound unbearable, but his sense of humor and relentlessly upbeat attitude left me wanting more. Especially since he left us hanging in regards to whether or not he's still with the woman he endured all this for. I'm hoping there's a sequel.

What made me rate it down a star was the way he talked about the women on the ships. Mostly they were beautiful, and that was always the first thing he mentioned. Women he didn't get along with were always ugly and their appearance always figured into any legitimate complaints about their behavior. That just didn't seem necessary. Although I did appreciate that, no matter what he was saying about any given woman, he never resorted to vulgarity. If we had to hear about how big some mean woman's butt was, at least he used the least offensive words possible*.

*This probably doesn't apply to readers familiar with Jamaican and/or Romanian curse words, many of which are no doubt extremely offensive.